[Seaside] HTTP Server Structure

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Mon Nov 17 19:31:48 CET 2003

On 17 Nov 2003, at 17:47, Stephen Pair wrote:

> For Comanche 6.2, the following will start an http file server on your
> default directory:
>
>    | ma |
>    ma := ModuleAssembly core.
>    ma serverRoot: FileDirectory default fullName.
>    ma documentRoot: FileDirectory default fullName.
>    ma directoryIndex: 'index.html index.htm'.
>    ma serveFiles.
>    (HttpService startOn: 8080 named: 'httpd') plug: ma rootModule

Yeah, I found that somewhere in a class comment, I now have it working
as

  | ma |
  ma := ModuleAssembly core.
  ma serverRoot: (FileDirectory on: '/Users/sven/Sites/') fullName.
  ma documentRoot: (FileDirectory on: '/Users/sven/Sites/') fullName.
  ma directoryIndex: 'index.html index.htm'.
  ma serveFiles.
  (HttpService startOn: 8080 named: 'httpd') plug: ma rootModule

I don't understand the difference between #serverRoot and
#documentRoot, I thought an HTTP service only needed a directory to
serve files from, and an optional URL prefix ?

> The best docs for Comanche 6.2 (registered as KomHttpServer on
> SqueakMap) are located in various class comments.  Start with the
> class comments for KomHttpServerInfo.  Most (if not all) of the
> ComancheModule subclasses also include helpful class comments with
> examples.

There are indeed some class comments, but the overall structure is
quite factored and hard to follow/grasp. Many classes in Squeak(Map)
are lacking (class) comments. Unless I am mistaken and remember it
incorrectly, VisualWorks used to be (and maybe still is) much better in
that respect (let alone the fact that there was a real manual).

Thanks for the help,

Sven