[Seaside] HTTP Server Structure

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Tue Nov 18 00:00:01 CET 2003

On 17 Nov 2003, at 23:34, Avi Bryant wrote:

> On Nov 17, 2003, at 7:57 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>
>> For example, what is the right/simple way to serve some static files
>> ? There seem to be several ways of doing it, but I can't get any of
>> them to work reliably. Where can I learn more about this ?
>
> I'm curious what the several ways are that you tried, and which of
> them were unreliable.

I was fiddling with StaticFileModule, the aproach described by Stephen
and the one described by Nevin. With 'unreliable' I meant that (due to
my lack of understanding) I failed to get any of them working well
(especially since everytime you try one of them, you get yet another
service ;-)

> Personally, if I had a lot of static files and I wanted them served
> fast, I would let Apache do it, and graft my Seaside application into
> Apache's URL space using mod_proxy.
>
> On the other hand, if I had only a few static files and wanted the
> simplest deployment package, I would suck them into the image (maybe
> even managing them as Smalltalk source by sticking them into a string
> literal somewhere), and use the #anchorWithDocument: methods.

Very valid point. I did not yet notice the #anchorWithDocument method -
interesting.

Thx,

Sven