[Seaside] HTTP Performance

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Wed Nov 19 15:32:24 CET 2003

Let me start by saying that I like Seaside (and Squeak) a lot. I am
really amazed at how much design and abstraction there is hidden
underneath, and how flexible Smalltalk code really is (and how much fun
it is to work in such a powerful integrated environment).

However, since I started evaluating writing and deploying web
applications in Squeak (only about two weeks ago), the final HTML
interface as approached by a browser, felt a little bit slow.

First, I re-implemented our calculator example in Lisp (minus the
backtracking support), and it was clear that there was a significant
speed difference: it was very easy to 'out-click' the seaside based
calculator, which was a lot harder to do with the Lisp version.

Then I decided to do a simple benchmark to really compare HTTP
performance:

   http://homepage.mac.com/svc/DW-Bench/index.html

I compared dynamic and static HTTP performance of JBoss, Lisp and
Smalltalk.

The Seaside/Comanche results for Squeak were consistent, but slow. I do
not know enough about the performance characteristics of Squeak to have
an educated opinion about these results.

Does anybody care to run the tests themselves ?
Does anybody, those with production Seaside/Comanche/Squeak based
sites, care to comment ?
What can be done to make things faster ?

Sven