[Seaside] HTTP Performance

Stephen Pair stephen at pairhome.net
Thu Nov 20 14:45:44 CET 2003

Julian Fitzell wrote:

> Avi Bryant wrote:

>>> In my experience, a lowly 1.3 Ghz Pentium running Squeak, Comanche,
>>> and Seaside can still overdrive a relatively fast DSL internet pipe.
>>>
>>> The pipe to the internet is usually the bottleneck.
>>

>> I've been doing some benchmarking.  One thing that helped a lot for
>> static pages was terminating the UI process (Project uiProcess
>> terminate).  Note that this will (obviously) make your image
>> unresponsive to the mouse and keyboard, but CPU usage goes down and
>> web performance goes up.  I was able to get over 300 requests per
>> second with a simple static page and Comanche on a 1Ghz G4
>> Powerbook.  I'd recommend doing this before deploying an image
>> (although maybe there's a more reversible way of getting the same
>> effect?).
>

> Well, as I told you, I discovered the same thing at work when I
> suspended the process.  Am I incorrect in thinking that is more
> reversible?  I still think it must be possible, somehow, to achieve
> the same results by having the UI process NOOP most of what it's doing
> when the VM is using the null display driver or something, but I admit
> I haven't given it much detailed thought...
>
> Julian

Here's an idea I got from Andreas...you can service requests in the UI
process (run it in a workspace)...you can interrupt it by doing Alt-.
Here's an example of how you can do that with Comanche (this assumes you
have a comanche service called httpd and that it is stopped (or at least
not running on 8080)):

| httpService listener |
httpService := (Service serviceNamed: 'httpd').
listener := TcpListener on: 8080 handler: [ :socket | httpService value:
socket ].
listener listenWhile: [true].

Running this in a workspace will prevent any morphic stuff from running
(until you interrupt it by pressing Atl-.).

- Stephen