[Seaside] Squeak async i/o performrance, was Re: HTTP Performance

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Fri Nov 21 01:01:07 CET 2003

On Thursday 20 November 2003 6:32 am, Andreas Raab wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
>
> > I poked at this today and I don't quite get the math to work.
>
> Interesting you should say this. My impression after running a bunch of
> tests with Avi and Stephen yesterday was very similar. I can say for sure
> that there's something wrong here but it's not quite clear what. I've been
> running an interesting little benchmark which might be good to run on other
> machines as well. Here it is:

Interesting. Andreas said that it ran in 4 seconds.

On my Linux machine (2.4 GHz P4, 800MHz memory channel, 3.6g-2 VM with my
mods) it runs in 250 msec or so (for about 4000 connections per second). This
is starting the server first.

If I use the -notimer switch to the VM, and keep my mouse moving, it takes
about 450 msec.

If I use the -notimer switch and don't move my mouse, it could take as long as
9 seconds (or longer!).

However, if I start the client before the server, (even without the -notimer
switch), I sometimes see it taking as long as 3.25 seconds or longer.