[Seaside] [BUG][TEST] Seaside Security Issue

Lukas Renggli renggli at student.unibe.ch
Wed Oct 1 21:43:40 CEST 2003

Hi Avi,

we discovered a security issue with Seaside, that makes it possible to
crash any Squeak-VM from the web.

Using the web-application in ssi.mcz it is possible to crash the Unix,
the Carbon and the Windows VM. Clicking on the button in this
application will start a longer-lasting task, in this example it is
just delay of several seconds. The longer the task the easier to
reproduce the problem, but it is also possible with much shorter
delays. As web-browser you *have to use Internet Explorer*, as this is
the only browser we know that is sending multiple requests when
submitting the same form several times. To crash Squeak, simply click a
lot onto that button in short intervals (do not wait until the page
refreshes) and the VM will suddenly disappear ...