[Seaside] Changes in newer seaside?

Nevin Pratt nevin at smalltalkpro.com
Sun Oct 5 13:31:45 CEST 2003

Avi Bryant wrote:

>On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Markus Fritsche wrote:
>

>>A minimal monticello package is at
>>http://reauktion.de/archer/DIA-mfrit.2.mcz For the "Lieferant: " button
>>to work you'll have to define an address first. It's partly german, I
>>hope this isn't a problem.
>>

>Ok, I see your problem.
>
>In DIAArticleApplication>>renderContentOn:, you have
>
>  html render: (DIAArticleEditor new article: DIAArticle new))
>
>This means that every time you render, you're creating a new article
>editor.
>
>So the component doing the #call: is the ArticleEditor from the last time
>you rendered - which doesn't affect the new one you create the next time
>you render.
>
>Subcomponents need to be created once, at initialization time, not for
>each render - at least subcomponents that you expect #call: to work for.
>
>Does that make sense?

Markus,

A long time ago, I made that same mistake.  Interestingly enough, there
was an earlier version of Seaside where that "mistake" actually worked
out OK.  The point is, I don't think the design of Seaside ever intended
such code to work as you were expecting (and as I was once expecting),
even if there was once a Seaside version where it seemed to work OK.
 For me, it was when I upgraded to a newer Seaside version that things
seemed to have suddenly become broken, and I naturally thought the newer
Seaside version was broken.  I didn't realize (at first) that it was
actually my own code that was broken (i.e., written in a fashion that
Seaside wasn't designed for).  When you initially wrote your code, you
were probably using one of those earlier versions.

Nevin

--
Nevin Pratt
Bountiful Baby