[Seaside] How can I access the authenticated user of a request?

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Tue Oct 28 11:02:45 CET 2003

Ian Prince wrote:

> For a small application I am building for a client (FWIW: a
> directory/file browser with access control based on the
> user/password), I need to access the "authenticated user" part of a
> request.
>
> WARequest>>user seems to be what I want but how do I access the request?

Rather than accessing the request directly, I would use
WASession>>basicAuthentication:do: .  This takes two blocks:

- the first is a two parameter block, which will get passed a username
and password.  You need to return true or false, depending on whether
authentication succeeds.  You can also take this opportunity to store
the username.

- the second is a zero parameter block.  It is the scope within which
authentication is used - any pages that are shown while evaluating that
block will require authentication.

So, you might have a front page with a login link that invokes a method
like this:

login
  self session
    basicAuthentication: [:user :pass | self authenticateUser: user
password: pass]
    do: [self call: (AuthenticatedPage new)]