[Seaside] How can I access the authenticated user of a request?

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Wed Oct 29 09:08:22 CET 2003

Ian Prince wrote:

> My question: is it necessary to do so, isn't the basic authentication
> username-password given by the browser's in the http request headers?
> If so, how can I access them (or any other headers such as cookies)?

There are several methods you could override that see the request as it
goes past, but the request is currently never stored anywhere, so it's
not easy to access it from arbitrary code.  I'm not entirely sure that's
a bad thing - the HTTP request is not an abstraction I want people to be
thinking about very often, if at all, and so if there's anything useful
in the request I'd prefer to provide some higher level way of getting at
it.  Given that, let me fire the question right back at you - how
*should* you be able to access it?  And what would you use this access for?

Avi