[Seaside] How can I access the authenticated user of a request?

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Wed Oct 29 12:07:15 CET 2003

Ian Prince wrote:

> Do you have a code example of how I might refer to the request, say to
> display the User-Agent?
>
> I must be missing something really obvious as I still can't see how I
> can reference the request in my code. In Zope/DTML this is trivial -
> just write <dtml-var REQUEST>.

No, you're not missing anything obvious.  As I said earlier, there isn't
currently any easy way.  Here's one thing you could do, though:

WAControllerSession subclass: #MySession
   instanceVariableNames: 'request'

MySession>>handleRequest: aRequest
   request := aRequest.
   ^ super handleRequest: aRequest

MySession>>request
  ^ request

SomeComponent>>someMethod
   ... (self session request headerAt: 'User-Agent') ....

If it seemed like people were doing this a lot (storing the current
request in the session and accessing it from components), then I would
push that feature up to WASession.  It's just that I've never really
found a need for it, myself.

Avi