[Seaside] Seaside Portlet [IDEA]

Giovanni Giorgi jj at objectsroot.com
Fri Oct 31 18:57:17 CET 2003

Avi Bryant wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 29, 2003, at 10:18 AM, Giovanni Giorgi wrote:
>
>> In short Portlet are a sub-spec of Servlet, born to get "resuable
>> portal components"  for aggregating data inside a web site, thinked
>> as a portal.
>

> Can you summarize what makes "portlets" different from regular
> "servlets"?

Portlet runs inside a Portal.
The Portal is defined as an content aggragator; the portal manage users
and permissions, implementing also a
single sign on.
A User can register and log in via the portal.

Look at
    http://www.infinito.it
 You can see six box.
For instance, every one of this box can be thinked as a unique portlet.
Portlet generate only a html fragment, and the Server aggragete them in
a big html document.
So the software house starts to provide portlets, which aggragate data.
The Customer designs its site aggregating portlets as she/he likes,
defining pages and so on.
The Portal provide an easy admin console to add/remove/stack portlet.
Also, the portal provide a persistence storage for the portlet.

See also
    http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/site/index.html
for a open portlet  engine. Try it with tomcat for getting an idea.

>>   1. Seaside can define an abstract PortletRenderer to be mapped as a
>>      render for HTML, WML and so on.
>
> [ about multiple render output]
> Does anyone actually use WML anymore?  The trend I'm seeing is to have
> full HTML browsers on handheld devices.  I'm skeptical that there's
> much utility in supporting multiple markups (simple XHTML + CSS is the
> way things are going to go, IMO).

I agree, but multi-rendering is a must. For instance, if you jave a
handlheld device, you should generate slightly different pages.

>>      Sometimes I think the render: and call: method are the TRUE power
>>      of seaside....
>
>   2. We can  aggregate seaside components in a very simple way!
> I agree.  Although HTMLRenderer is pretty cool too ;).

Yes, the callback of the HTMLRenderer shines!! ;))

> We can start only defining a SeasidePortletComponent and starting form
> here...do you like it? ;)
> Well, why don't you write an example portlet or two that we can look at?

Yes I should do it as soon as possible.
Ciao ciao!

--
  [   [  [ JJ ]  ]   ]  | First, they ignore you. Then they laugh
http://www.siforge.org  |          Mahatma Ghandi