[Seaside] Templates?

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Tue Sep 9 17:47:43 CEST 2003

On Tuesday, September 9, 2003, at 03:43 PM, Roger Whitney wrote:

> The Seaside web page (http://beta4.com/seaside2/) claims that Seaside
> supports "designer-friendly templates". I am using the Squeak version
> of Seaside downloaded from SqueakMap last thursday. Perhaps I just
> missed it but I do not see how to use an html template with Seaside.
> Any pointers or examples on how to use templates in Seaside?

Well, that line was written thinking of Colin Putney's "Nori" project,
which aims to add templates to Seaside2 (early versions of Seaside did
have templates, but they were dropped in version 2).  However, I'm not
sure of the exact status of Nori - I don't get the impression that it's
ready for prime time yet, so that claim is a little, um, ahead of
itself.  I should probably remove it.

Most people that use Seaside that I've talked to actually end up much
preferring the templateless style of version 2 (Colin being a notable
exception), so it hasn't been a high priority.  I'd be interested in
your thoughts, however.

> (Well I could read the file and replace parts of the template with
> real values and pass the result in an objects renderContentOn: method,
> but assumed part of this was already done.)

You should also take a look at the #header and #footer methods, which
provide a very simplistic (but, for me, sufficient) way of getting
chunks of raw html into the system.