[Seaside] [ANN] Nori on SqueakMap

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Thu Sep 11 16:43:10 CEST 2003

Hi all,

I've just put the first release of Nori on SqueakMap.

Nori is a framework for building Seaside applications using templates
instead of generating HTML programmatically. It grew out of my need to
work with a designer in building consumer-oriented web applications. To
that end, here are some of the features and design goals in Nori:

*	maximized separation of the appearance of the UI from it's behaviour.
This lets
	programmers and designers work independently if only appearance or
behaviour
	needs to be changed.

*	testability. Nori makes it easy to write unit tests for UI behaviour.
These can be used
	designers to ensure that visual changes don't affect UI behaviour, as
well as by 	programmers doing TDD.

*	minimal syntax. Nori templates can be strictly compliant XHTML, which
means that
	they can be manipulated using a variety of external tools. Designers
can use
	WYSIWYG tools to create the templates, and they can be versioned in
CVS, stored 	in XML databases, generated using XSLT or whatever. Also,
it's possible to browse
	the templates directly as a non-interactive mockup of the application.

*	integration with Seaside. Nori components can be embedded in Seaside
	components and vice versa, so all the usual Seaside tools - explorer,
profiler,
	browser, etc - can be used with Nori components as well.

As this is the first release of Nori, it's pretty stable but not
terribly mature. It has good test coverage, and several examples to get
new users started. I appreciate any and all feedback.

Colin