[Seaside] Templates?

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Fri Sep 12 13:03:24 CEST 2003

Giovanni Giorgi wrote:
> Nevin Pratt ha scritto in data 11/09/2003 11.46:
>
>>> And, out of curiosity, why would you be looking at the HTML source of a
>>> production app, rather than a development instance (with the toolbar
>>> turned on) of the same application?
>>

>> Well, how about when I'm in Pennsylvania (or, say, Detroit, like I am
>> at the moment), and my wife calls me about a problem or a question,
>> and I want to hit the site to see what the actual html it is
>> generating is.
>>
>> I admit that doesn't happen much, but it has happened a couple of
>> times now.
>

> I agree. The pretty print in production can be userful.
> I understand is difficult to get a pretty print because of seaside model,
> but this wuold help a lot....
> At least should be fine to get the complex structures pretty printed
> (like tables and <span> nesting...).
> bYE bYE!

It's not Seaside's fault... the problem is that you can't arbitrarily
put carriage returns or tabs inside fields because it renders as a space
in HTML that might not have been there otherwise.

Foo<span>bar</span>baz

renders differently from:

Foo
baz

for example.  I've been through a handful of iterations of
pretty-printing, and none of them ever ends up being semantics
preserving.  If someone can come up with a concrete plan and prove that
it is semantics-preserving in all cases, then I'm all for adding it.
Otherwise, it's just another complication when tracking down weird
display problems.

Julian

julian at beta4.com
Beta4 Productions (http://www.beta4.com)