[Seaside] Technology choice question

Giovanni Giorgi jj at objectsroot.com
Mon Sep 22 16:07:23 CEST 2003

On Lunedì, set 15, 2003, at 20:57 Europe/Rome, Derek Brans wrote:

> I have a client that wants a simple web database application that
> let’s you search for actors based on their height, weight and
> haircolour.
>
> He also wants users to be able to download the application and run it
> offline on their machine (Windows and Mac), so that actors’
> phone-numbers can be searched on a set where there’s no internet
> connection.
>
> CouldSeaside(along with Squeak and database files) be configured to
> easily download and run locally on a user’s machine?
Yes,
> Would that be more of a Java applet thing?
Yes. I am using seaside quite a bit, and I work with Java every single
day.
Provided you have a good object oriented database (like Omnibase I
suppose) you got some advantages.
Installing a squak app is trivial: just pack all in a zip and you have
done. No Classpath.
Only a big image.
The VM is small (about 1MB) and work quite well also with large images
(256MB RAM vs 128MB images work fine for my XP box).
Also, developing in seaside is MUCH faster than using Java Servlet with
struts.
If the app is simple, you can choos seaside.
It it requires more distributed capabilities, java (via EJB) can be
better.
--
    [   [  [ JJ ]  ]   ]  |  Dynamic typing allows the programmer to do
the right
                          | thing without trying to convince the
compiler that it's the
http://www.siforge.org   | right thing. -David Buck