[Seaside] Apache frontend for Squeak, mod_scgi ?

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Fri Sep 26 11:28:10 CEST 2003

On Friday, September 26, 2003, at 10:05  AM, Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> My apologies for a general Squeak web question. But it seems this is
> where most of the web developers for Squeak are. :)
>
> I am currently building a website.
> I would like to use Squeak but am concerned about performance and
> stability. Due to that I am seriously (reasonably so) considering
> using Apache and Python, Quixote to be specific.
> http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/quixote/

Hi Jimmie,

Can you tell us more about what type of site you're building, and what
your concerns are?

I've had good results using Apache + mod_proxy + Comanche + Seaside.
That's useful in a situation where only *part* of the website needs to
be dynamic, and the rest can be served statically by Apache. Does this
fit your situation?

Are you concerned that Squeak will crash and need to be restarted? Does
mod_scgi automatically restart CGI services?

Do you expect such a high load that you'll need multiple apache servers
or some other high end load balancing scheme?

By the way, I wasn't able to read the documentation on the SCGI
protocol. The domain it's hosted at seems to have expired or something.
I'm sure it would be possible to implement an SCGI server for Seaside,
although should say that I had a look at implementing FastCGI, and
decided it wasn't worth the effort.

Colin