[Seaside] Apache frontend for Squeak, mod_scgi ?

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Fri Sep 26 15:22:21 CEST 2003

Hello Avi,

Avi Bryant wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
>
>>I think Apache, mod_scgi, and Squeak could outperform Apache, mod_scgi,
>>and Python. I don't know how this compares to mod_lisp. But mod_lisp
>>also isn't available for Apache2 to my knowledge.
>
> Thanks for pointing SCGI out, I hadn't run into it before.

Your welcome. Maybe it'll come in handy some day. :)

> mod_scgi looks very similar to mod_lisp.  To be honest I've never found
> much performance difference between this kind of module (which translate
> HTTP requests into a custom protocol which they use to communicate with
> the app server)  and mod_proxy, which just forwards the HTTP directly.
> It's not like parsing HTTP is inherently slower than parsing
> netstrings. However, it would be worth doing some benchmarking with this
> module in particular if you've had good experiences with it.

I don't know and your probably right. I don't know how any of these
protocols work. I don't know anything about mod_proxy. I definitely
don't know how it would boost performance of Squeak.

Does it just hand off the request to Squeak, still requiring Squeak to
do all the heavy lifting?

> It would probably be quite trivial to implement mod_scgi support for
> Seaside if someone felt it was worthwhile (an afternoon's work at most).
> That someone probably isn't going to be me, any time soon, however, unless
> a client specifically asks for it.

Understood.

Thanks again.

Jimmie Houchin