[Seaside] Re: Apache frontend for Squeak, mod_scgi ?

Brian Brown rbb at techgame.net
Sat Sep 27 23:14:11 CEST 2003

> That, in my not so humble opinion, constitutes a Serious e-Commerce
> Setup[tm].

Cees is right on the money here... I've deployed several setups like
this for customers... the return on investment is excellent, and no one
complains about uptime ;) Granted, this was before I knew about
Squeak/Seaside, but I would have zero issues with deploying an app
based on Seaside in a high volume environment. More of your issues will
come from the database, and how your
networking/load-balancing/fault-tolerance issues are setup. The ease of
developing complex web apps in Seaside vs. anything I've used before
overcomes any other consideration in a dynamic environment. And believe
me, I was a dyed-in-the-wool python evangelist... cgi/
mod_python/zope/albatross/pythonscript (asp).  Having an image with
everything in it is *much* easier to deploy than a filesystem based
distribution with 3rd-party modules (which I always wound up using, as
well as one's I wrote myself)

As a side question, Jimmie; are you starting up squeak with the -memory
option? I have noticed huge performance differences by just firing up
the interpreter with it and without it. Also, which VM are you using
and are you running on Linux/FreeBSD/ or windows? Have you also
stripped an image of extra classes and fluff?