[Seaside] Seaside Vs Java Struts (II)

Giovanni Giorgi jj at objectsroot.com
Sun Sep 28 16:51:19 CEST 2003

On Sabato, set 27, 2003, at 13:41 Europe/Rome, Markus Fritsche wrote:

>> Classes
>> Java Struts Version          36   Seaside version             12
>
> We had lessons in university using Struts. Additionally  to the fact,
> that most of the students didn't understand what it is that struts
> hide from the programmer
I am using Struts 1.0.2 at Work with WSAD and WSphere 4.x
Struts do not hide to you very much :(
Struts do not implement a strong MVC (like seaside) but a very light
one.
Struts simplify writing form/servlet and offer internationalisation
but...

> , I saw that there is a lot (and very a lot) of code being generated
> by WASD. Sometimes you have the feeling that the whole construction is
> some kind of domino game[...] this feeling was repealed by the
> necessary configuration steps - create a forward here, create a form
> class (nothing than a bean, but if you don't know it...) there.
...you must write a lot of code to get a single form up and running.
And XML config is terrible :)
The true problem is another in my own opinion:
  you study a lot of struts classes, and you get no so much.
Efforts are huge, problems solved are not-so-much.
Seaside is smaller but:
  Seaside do not offer property configuration or internationalization
support.
  Auto-generated link can be a problem for some apps.
	I NEVER can bookmark them!!

  Can Squeak/Seside/Comanche scale as the  more complex Java Servlet
spec.?

But I prefer (a lot) Seaside!!!!!
--
    [   [  [ JJ ]  ]   ]  |  Dynamic typing allows the programmer to do
the right
                          | thing without trying to convince the
compiler that it's the
http://www.siforge.org   | right thing. -David Buck