[Seaside] A question about checkboxes

Nick Brown nickbrown at fastmail.fm
Tue Sep 30 10:42:51 CEST 2003

Hello folks.

At work I've recently inherited a project involving the development of a
very large and rather complex form residing on an intranet website. Given
that the existing project is reliant upon a lot of hand-editted html
(there is clint-side JavaScript which interacts with the form
components), I'm attempting to use Seaside to come up with a reasonably
well factored way of describing the form, allowing the html to be
generated automatically. I've only spent a small amount of time working
on this, and have had some very encouraging results so far, but I have
hit a sticking point. . .

There is a requirement for checkboxes on this form, which need to be
included in the form results. The only checkboxes that Seaside appears to
be able to create using the given methods always have a call-back
associated with them, and always cause the entire page to refresh. While
I appreciate how useful this can be, in this case I'm concerned that
users seeing the page refresh multiple times as they fill it in will be
distracting.

I'd like to be able to create checkboxes which don't cause a page
refresh, but whose value is returned when the form is submitted. I can
certainly make Seaside write out the appropriate tags to create a
checkbox which can indeed be ticked without causing a page refresh, but
how can I then retrieve the status of the checkbox when the form is
submitted?

More generally, I suppose what I'd like to be able to do is to defer the
call-back until the form is submitted, and then receive all the
call-backs at once. Is this possible?

Thanks for any suggestions,
-Nick