[Seaside] Performance!

Jon Paynter kittle at mail.yans.net
Tue Aug 31 20:03:43 CEST 2004

From: Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 19:36:44 +0200

>On Aug 31, 2004, at 7:27 PM, Jon Paynter wrote:
>
>> But I found when working with friends to test remotely their response
>> times were very slow.  No timeout errors from IE, but typical
>> click-response cycle was 3-10 seconds.
>
>3 to 10 *seconds*?  I've never seen anything like that.  Seaside does
>sometimes feel sluggish when there's high latency, because by default
>it redirects after every request, which doubles the round trips.  But
>it should certainly still be sub-second unless your responses are huge
>or you're doing some heavy computation.
>
>Just out of curiosity, have you tried any other browsers, or just IE?

yes 3-10 seconds.  I had my brother (on the phone) tell me when he clicked a link and then when his page finally displayed.  No heavy computations.. just simple forms & tables.

Im wondering if it has to do with the VW web toolkit im running this thing under?  I know there is a bunch of logging & such that it does by default, but shutting that off didnt seem to help any.

And no -- only IE has been used as a browser.  I suppose I could try Opera or something, but it doesnt exhibit any of the symtoms of being a browser issue like early versions of VisualWave with early versions of IE (30 seconds to _parse_ a page in some cases)

Anyone have a VW Komanche port I could try?

Jon.