[Seaside] seaside providers

C. David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Tue Dec 7 18:36:52 CET 2004

Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> We thought about that a while ago to set up a professional seaside
> hosting here at netstyle.ch. The idea is to have a pre-installed
> system as it is typically used for a Seaside app. This would include
> GOODS, Postgres, ssh access, VNC and Apache for example. The
> infrastructure/bandwidth etc. is in place, what we would have to set
> up are some security restrictions.

Yes, putting together a setup like this isn't difficult.  What's hard is
making it usable remotely.  I have a server on a T1 but VNCing from my
home via our Cable internet provider can be very laggy at times.  I
really can't say this enough times: "If you don't have physical or LAN
access to the server then be ready to build administrative interfaces
and develop a deployment technique which ensures no or few errors."  On
the other hand it isn't that hard to set it up and test it with one or
two customers.  I just wouldn't try to sell it as a "general Seaside
solution" without a lot of tools added.  LiveWire looks like a very
promising part of such a toolset.

David

--
C. David Shaffer