[Seaside] Re: hosting Seaside apps

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Mon Dec 13 20:13:00 CET 2004

(note: cross-posted for now to both Squeak and Seaside lists, probably
should continue on Seaside list only after this point)

To take this in a slightly different direction:

I have several contacts who provide website hosting in various forms and
it's entirely possible that I could convince one or more that enough
business exists for Seaside hosting that it would be worth pursuing.
However I have to admit that I haven't been paying too much attention
lately and so I need to ask what potential customers would expect from
such a service.

First of all note that quite a few hosting companies already provide
individual servers and virtual servers that would provide the
fundamentals necessary for a Seaside server and all the access necessary
to get that going.  I have to assume that anyone asking for something
else has something different from that in mind.  What?

Also, please define 'cheap' in this context.  Are you expecting this to
be less than $25 USD per month?  Less than $15 USD per month?

The question comes up as to how the user of such a service would expect
to remotely administer their service.  Admittedly this makes clear my
own laziness and level of distraction as I'm aware that some discussion
of this issue has been occurring recently on the Seaside list.  I'm
hoping some kind soul would be willing to summarize the relevant points.

On a related note I expect any prospective hosting company providing an
inexpensive service would appreciate a standardized custom Seaside image
that provides the desired functionality with minimal RAM usage.  Of
course on a shared server shared memory should help and perhaps some
statistics on this would be useful.

Ken