[Seaside] seaside providers

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Tue Dec 14 12:00:23 CET 2004

My personal preference is Debian, because of the integrated APT packaging
system. If you need something (say, a C compiler) you can just say
'apt-get install gcc' and it'll suck everything necessary in and install
it. Keeping a tab on security upgrades is as easy as typing 'apt-get
update; apt-get upgrade'. Also, the JVDS install of Debian is only 126Mb.

RedHat/Fedora and SuSE are bloated, so half your disk quota will be filled
with stuff you won't ever need.

Gentoo is said to be even kewler than Debian, but IIRC it is a
source-based distro (where you download sources and compile them locally
instead of downloading binary packages) it is likely to eat up a lot more
space than Debian.

Slackware is one of the original distros - I used it in '94 or
thereabouts. Since then, it seems no-one really developed the 'meta stuff'
(packaging tools), the whole system looks awfully primitive. One customer
of mine uses it and I recommended they move to Debian.

Squeak will install just fine on any of them by downloading the
distribution archives, unpacking them in a temporary location, and running
the supplied install script.

Note that the hardest part will be the necessary scripting to keep Squeak
running as a server image, the decisions to go headless+management
interface or headful+VNC, etcetera. I am very much for kickstarting a
project that collects some scripts around these alternatives.