[Seaside] GOODS speed

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at cableone.net
Tue Dec 14 21:03:56 CET 2004

Benjamin Pollack wrote:
> I'm about to post an updated fulltext search package to SqueakMap, but
> in the process of testing it, I've been a bit underwhelmed by GOODS'
> performance. I built a sample database on 2 MB of emails. Committing
> the indices to GOODS takes several minutes, and once they've been
> committed, running a search on them takes about 750 ms. In comparison,
> actually building the indices takes only 30 seconds, and doing the
> search in-memory takes about 1 ms. A similar query in PostgreSQL on a
> far larger dataset executes in 50 ms, for comparison. Are these
> performance times typical? If not, what can I do to make them run more
> quickly?

I can't answer your question but I am interested in its answer.

I was just curious if anybody has used Squeak and SQLite 3 for anything
like this. From a simple look at the SQLite info, it seems like a decent
DB to use with Squeak for many purposes. It seems like a good match for
Squeak.

Jimmie Houchin