[Seaside] GOODS speed

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 21:47:07 CET 2004

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:39:41 -0500, Benjamin Pollack
<benjamin.pollack at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm about to post an updated fulltext search package to SqueakMap, but
> in the process of testing it, I've been a bit underwhelmed by GOODS'
> performance. I built a sample database on 2 MB of emails. Committing
> the indices to GOODS takes several minutes, and once they've been
> committed, running a search on them takes about 750 ms. In comparison,
> actually building the indices takes only 30 seconds, and doing the
> search in-memory takes about 1 ms. A similar query in PostgreSQL on a
> far larger dataset executes in 50 ms, for comparison. Are these
> performance times typical? If not, what can I do to make them run more
> quickly?

What platform and VM are you using?

Although I wouldn't say that GOODS is speedy (bringing each individual
instance that your query traverses over the network is a nasty
bottleneck), 750ms strikes me as exceptionally bad for a simple
search.  Can you do a MessageTally on that and see where the time is
spent?

Also, how does the first search compare with subsequent searches using
the same GOODS connection (for the same search string, or a similar
one, or an entirely different one)?

Avi