[Seaside] Does Seaside/Squeak ready for production use ?

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Fri Dec 24 12:57:43 CET 2004

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 14:19:49 +0300, Dmitry Dorofeev
<dima-sender-3c337a at yasp.com> wrote:
> 1. The project requires headless squeak running on remote server. Is
> there any proven way to update the code and apply fixes remotely in this
> case. (Yes i know, this was discussed recently in the list)

I agree with radoslav here, VNC is most convenient.

> 2. Is there live seaside/squeak sites with heavy loads. We looking to
> support 2000 unique visitors per day and 2 hits per second to the
> content pages. Is that possible on Intel hardware ?

Depends on what it takes to generate the content pages. If it requires,
say, breaking a 512bit RSA key.... ;-)

But for regular stuff, no problem.

> 3. Is there any ways to use server-side caching or static pages for
> styles/javascripts which i belive are generates dynamically. As i can
> see each click in browser generates 2-3 requests to Seaside, for
> HTML,CSS and JS ?

Put the CSS and JS outside in an Apache server. Or export them under
static URL's with Komanche.

> 4. Is there any tricks to make Google happy with seaside sessions and
> URLs ?

Yes, I have a package called 'Janus' that does exactly that, and although
it could use some work I think the general direction is sound (and,
important, not in conflict with Google's guidelines).
http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:jVfuBCDNp08J:www.tric.nl/nl/nl/sitemap+site:.tric.nl&hl=en
is what Google sees, for example.

> Image files are now grown to the sizes (bytes)
>  17715866 seaside-books.changes
>  95248000 seaside-books.image
> It may be cached sessions data, but i believe it should be freed up ?
> Any comments on image size ? I can send Perl script to the list on
> request. original image was Squeak3.7-5989-basic

Err... as long as you don't save the image, you shouldn't see an increase.
But if you do such an artificial test and snapshot immediately, you're
bound to see lots of sessions being kept around (not yet being GC'ed yet).

> 8. Encryption. S/MIME is required. I can use OpenSSL lib for that, any
> hints how to do that ?

FFI. I don't know whether there's any existing code.