[Seaside] 2.5 beta 1

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Thu Jul 22 08:13:17 CEST 2004

Hi all,

I feel like Seaside 2.5 has now settled down enough, and has
accomplished enough of what I was shooting for, to freeze the feature
set and move it into beta.  I've put the first beta release on
SqueakMap; this is essentially 2.5a6 with general fixes, and with
modifications to WAHtmlDocument to allow streaming*.  Anyone still
using Seaside 2.3 should now feel pretty safe starting to port their
code to 2.5 without feeling like there will be major changes to the
system.

This has been a pretty long alpha, I think due to my trying to bundle
too many changes at once.  Hopefully the beta will move along quicker.
I'll be sitting here, eagerly awaiting bug reports...

Have fun with it,
Avi

* Switching to a streaming mode should now require no changes to user
code; however, a fully streaming configuration requires support from
the webserver, and I haven't yet found a way to do this integration
cleanly and portably.  So although the streaming changes have
eliminated an internal buffer (by hooking the document directly into
the Response object), the Response object itself still buffers the
output and gives it to the webserver as one chunk.