[Seaside] request termination

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Mon Jul 26 22:15:05 CEST 2004

Here's something I'd like an opinion on: if the browser times out when
waiting for a response, or the user hits the stop button, and the
connection is dropped, Seaside still keeps chugging away on the
request.  Should we terminate the process instead?  And if so, how do
we get a notification from the webserver about the dropped connection
in a portable way?

At least in Squeak, terminating the process does make sure to run all
the #ensure: blocks, and I expect/hope the same would be true in other
dialects as well.  So as long as people are careful, it shouldn't do
*too* much damage to kill the process.  It's also unlikely that the
callback processing is what would take too long and timeout (barring an
inifinite loop) - usually it would be the render phase getting
terminated, which should be pretty harmless.