[Seaside] Re: 2.5b2

Kamil Kukura kamk at volny.cz
Wed Jul 28 11:03:47 CEST 2004

Avi Bryant wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Just released Seaside 2.5b2.  The changes from b1, mostly thanks to
> Adrian Lienhard and Michel Bany, are:

I just upgraded to this version and here are some remarks:

- still don't have asMutator used in
WAHtmlRenderer)>>radioButtonInGroup:withValue:on:of: so I needed to
backfix this.

- using scripts and styles in external files I had to put everything
regarding <head>...</head> content into #updateRoot: while holding on
its super's counterpart. I use #addHeadElement: so now I'm not sure if
it will survive next versions. More on that below.

- now updating document's title from #updateRoot: in the root component.
  Perhaps there could be better way for a component to alternate
document's title.

Now back to your announcement.
> I've also been experimenting some with Javascript's XMLHttpRequest
> support, and have included a preview of this work.  You can read more
> in this blog post, and see an example in WALiveRequestTest:
>
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/avi/blogView?
> showComments=true&entry=3268075684

Urgh, what that space after question mark... Anyway, it's cool to see
support for client-side scripting. Btw, I call these "continuation" web
applications as "web-terminal applications" and scripting turns web
browser to great terminal front-end. To me it's like next evolution of
IBM's 3270 batch terminal :)

> Like the Canvas work, this is *not* a supported part of Seaside 2.5,
> but since it's independent of the rest of the code I don't mind keeping
> the previews in the release.

Well, but I see all of WAStandardScripts and WAStandardStyles in every
application configured. First I was shocked why simple counter has so
many stylesheets attached to it.
I must admit I don't understand library browser much. I think
WARenderedHtmlRoot>>write[Script|Style]:on: is quite rough. I see there
idea of "EITI - Everything In The Image" but I guess there could be
finer control for styles/scripts inclusion.

How do you like the idea of having classes such as WAScriptContent
having #scriptType and #isDeferred that would correspond to <style>'s
attributes. Similiarly, for WAStyleContent there would be #styleType,
#title, #isAlternate, #media. And finally their master WALinkedContent
would have #charset.
In any case I agree with EITI philosophy but I think there still should
be an easy way to add <head>'s element with an explicit URL.

And after all some random thoughts that hang in my mind:

- no remove action for "config" in "config" web application
- in configuration window, button "Save" packed within "General" section
- toolbar's items separated with " | "

--
Kamil