[Seaside] onAnswer: problems

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Wed Jun 2 04:19:29 CEST 2004

On Jun 1, 2004, at 7:03 PM, C. David Shaffer wrote:

> Attached is a change set which demonstrates a problem I'm having with
> onAnswer:.  Am I doing something stupid here?  It seems like you can't
> "self answer:" inside an onAnswer: block so top level components can't
> be triggered to answer from inner level component's answers.  I'm
> running Seaside 2.5a3 in Squeak 3.6 (5429).

No, you're not doing anything stupid.  It's an artifact of the new way
call/answer is implemented; I clearly don't have it quite right yet.
#answer: right now signals a WAAnswerNotification, and I'm getting into
trouble because the handlers for this are not always what you would
expect them to be.  This is the second time today somebody has pointed
out a problem with this mechanism - Adrian noticed that sending
#answer: to a component other than the one currently processing an
action callback didn't work.

Try this as  a quick hack: override #processRequest:do: in your parent
component to be this:

processRequest: aRequest do: aBlock
	aBlock value

I'll think about a more permanent solution.

This has been a good alpha period, so far - I seem to have said "good
point, I'll have to think of a solution to that" more times than usual.
:)

Avi