[Seaside] Help needed for the Back button

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Thu Jun 3 19:47:49 CEST 2004

On Jun 3, 2004, at 10:39 AM, Michel Bany wrote:

> I tend to disagree with this. I recently bought a flight ticket for my
> wife using a (awfully badly designed) web application where I used the
> "Back" button a few times to change the flight date that I entered in
> a previous page and thought I was updating my "cart". In reality the
> web app did not backtrack the booking state and in the end I received
> the wrong bookings which I had to change and it cost me 100 CHF to get
> the right flight.
> My experience is that using the Back button should roll back any
> change I made to my cart. In the store application, when you hit the
> Back button, you can *see* the previous version of the cart and you
> want to restart shopping from there.

Well, it clearly depends on the application.  When booking a flight,
you almost always are considering several options but only end up
wanting to buy one, so backtracking makes perfect sense.  When, say,
buying books, you often want to incrementally add items to your cart as
you browse, and I think it would be confusing to have some of them
disappear because of the way you chose to navigate.  When I think about
"shopping carts" I'm usually picturing the latter scenario.

Avi