2.5a4 (was Re: [Seaside] onAnswer: problems)

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Fri Jun 4 04:37:20 CEST 2004

On Jun 3, 2004, at 6:41 PM, C. David Shaffer wrote:

> OK, here's one that works several levels deep.

Thanks.  This doesn't solve Adrian's problem, however, so I'm
experimenting with an alternate solution.  I've just posted Seaside
version 2.5a4 to SqueakMap.  This introduces a simple event system; you
can send #triggerEvent:with: to a component, which will give any
decoration on that component a chance to handle the event.  You can use
#onEvent:do: to register a block (or continuation)  that a particular
event will trigger; this will add a new EventDecoration.  #onAnswer:
does this for the #answer event, and is used during #call:.  Other
decorations may also choose to intercept events (such as the
ValidationDecoration, which won't let an #answer: go through unless
certain conditions are met).

On the one hand, I'm hoping that this becomes a richer way for
subcomponents to communicate with their parents, and that would be a
good thing - the single #onAnswer: callback is a little weak.  And it
does solve the problems with WAAnswerNotification while still tying in
nicely to the decoration system.  On the other hand, I'm starting to
feel like there are maybe too many concepts flying around...

Avi