[Seaside] Re: Web app Testing frameworks

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Mon Jun 7 09:48:14 CEST 2004

On Jun 7, 2004, at 12:26 AM, Julian Fitzell wrote:

> Just entered the application from the main entry point.  We were using
> it for load testing so it definitely didn't make any difference for
> us.  You basically record tests by just using the application and then
> play them back again.  It has a weighting system to grab the right
> things and can use the same system (the weightings can be tweaked) to
> validate pages if you want it to.

A nice generic approach might be to have someone perform the same
conceptual action in the application multiple times ("training" rather
than just "recording"), and have the testing system try to come up with
a minimal rule that would properly capture the user's interaction.  At
a particular step, this rule might be something like "click one of the
links inside the <ul> inside a <div> with id='navbar'".  There would be
two interesting aspects to this: one is that by seeing the same action
in multiple sessions, the testing system ought to be able to figure out
that things like session and continuation ids are highly variable and
need to be ignored.  The other is that if the user intentionally varies
what they do during the recording phase, the testing system can notice
that and randomize the playback to match (in the above example,
choosing a different link inside that <ul> every time).

Maybe this is too optimistic: the rules might end capturing the wrong
thing all the time ("fourth link on the page" rather than "link with
text 'Logout'").  But the domain seems narrow enough that you could
hopefully make it pretty smart about which properties are likely to be
stable and which aren't.  At any rate, it would be a good research
project to find out.

Avi