[Seaside] GOODS design question

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Thu Jun 17 00:13:35 CEST 2004

On Jun 16, 2004, at 3:04 PM, Brian Murphy-Dye wrote:

> Avi, this helps a lot and sounds pretty exciting! GOODS handling all
> of the referential integrity junk is definitely nice. Given your
> example, I would first need to
>
>      (db root at: 'studentByName') put: Dictionary new
>
> right? (Or perhaps 'BTree new'.)

Yup.

> I currently have a tangled web of 20,000 objects which I had tried to
> store in a GOODS database a few nights ago and it crashed the db. Do I
> need to add and commit a few objects at a time and slowly build up to
> the full 20,000 objects?

That would be wise, yes.  What do you mean by "crashed the db"?  The
goodsrv process segfaulted?  If so, what version of GOODS are you using
and what version of gcc did you compile it with?  If not, it may have
just been very slow... at any rate, you definitely want to be
committing in smaller batches than that (commit a few hundred objects,
#flush or disconnect/reconnect, then keep going).

>  Or perhaps GOODS doesn't handle SortedCollections?

Well, it might manage to store them, but it will definitely have
difficulty retrieving them if they have sort blocks.  Use some other
object that responds to #value:value:.

Avi