[Seaside] CSS/JS libs

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Tue Jun 22 22:06:19 CEST 2004

On Jun 22, 2004, at 1:26 PM, Avi Bryant wrote:

> What I'm leaning towards as a simplification is to abandon the idea of
> bringing in stylesheets and supporting scripts as needed on particular
> page views, but to work at a much coarser granularity: styles and
> scripts will be grouped into "libraries", and each application will be
> configured with which libraries it includes.  All of the styles and
> scripts in the included libraries will be referenced from the <head>
> of every page in that application.  The URLs for each individual
> snippet of CSS or JS are immutable and have no expiry date, so the
> browser should cache them indefinitely.  However, this will increase
> load times for the very first page of the application, and it will
> doubtless mean having some scripts and styles included that don't get
> used at all.
>
> What are people's thoughts on this?

In general I like it. Streaming is good.

I's not a problem conceptually - many many site are designed this way.
It's probably good to further separate CSS from html generation. Also,
it seems like this ought to make it easier to make skinnable apps - per
session css libraries rather than per application.

However, I wonder about halos. This means we won't be able to
manipulate the style-sheets via halos any more, right?

Any reason you decided to associate libraries with applications rather
than individual components?

Colin