[Seaside] CSS/JS libs

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Thu Jun 24 08:21:02 CEST 2004

On Jun 23, 2004, at 6:32 PM, Eric Hodel wrote:

> Is it possible to generate a link element that points to a stylesheet
> then fill the stylesheet in as you build it?

Well, you could, but there wouldn't be much point.  The idea of having
a link to a stylesheet instead of having styles inline is that the
stylesheet content is static, and thus can have stable and cacheable
URLs.  If you did it that way you'd have to use a new URL every time
and the browser could never cache CSS.

>   (My understanding of the Seaside/Commanche interaction is that only
> one request can be processed by Seaside at a time, so not having a
> complete stylesheet would not be a problem.)

Only one request is processed by *a given session* at a time.  Static
documents, like stylesheets, are not handled at the session level, and
so can be served concurrently with any other request.

>   In Safari 1.2 and in Mozilla-based browsers, the heuristic for
>   [when to render a page] is quite simple. Both browsers use a
>   time delay, and are unwilling to switch to the new page until
>   that time threshold has been exceeded.

Yeah, I've read that previously and found it very interesting.  I'm
surprised the heuristic is that simplistic.  It may partly explain why
I always felt that NS4 was snappier than any modern browser...

Avi