[Seaside] CSS/JS libs

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Thu Jun 24 19:58:38 CEST 2004

Eric Hodel wrote:
> Julian Fitzell (julian at beta4.com) wrote:
>

>>Eric Hodel wrote:
>>

>>>Is it possible to generate a link element that points to a stylesheet
>>>then fill the stylesheet in as you build it?  (My understanding of the
>>>Seaside/Commanche interaction is that only one request can be processed
>>>by Seaside at a time, so not having a complete stylesheet would not be
>>>a problem.)
>>
>>Hmm...  well that's an interesting idea but I think it would eliminate
>>the benefits of the streaming, would it not?  It seems like either the
>>browser is going to wait until it is done downloading the stylesheet
>>beforing rending the page (in which case you're waiting for the end of
>>the render cycle for it to start) or else it would have to start
>>rendering without the style and have everything change on the user after
>>the stylesheet comes down (likely to be disturbing to a user).
>>
>>Or am I missing the point?
>

> I believe that is accurate.  It depends on how quickly Seaside can spit
> out a page (and how the browser will render the page).

Right, but my point is that that's no better than the current
non-streaming (and much simpler than this) method that Seasided 2.3
uses, right?  In both cases, the browser can't begin rendering until the
entire seaside rendering phase is complete.  With the streaming
functionality, the browser can start rendering immediately...

Julian