[Seaside] Re: no HTML entities for 8bit characters in UTF-8 encoding

radoslav hodnicak rh at 4096.sk
Mon Jun 28 09:50:28 CEST 2004

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004, Avi Bryant wrote:

> > and default character encodings. Also, each localization would have a
> > dictionary in a class variable that would be used to look up static
> > strings via DNU.
> >  Apps would add methods for dynamic strings as needed. The translation
> > app would be a simple editor for the static string table - dynamic
> > strings would have to be handled by the programmer.
>
> Sound great except that I don't understand the need for a dictionary
> and DNU - why not have real methods returning literal strings?  Easier
> in pretty much every respect.

Because for example there is currently no way to enter/edit literal string
in my language in squeak. The roman-mac-whatever-crap encoding prevents
it. So i have all the strings with translations in file, keyed by a
symbol. I don't use DNU thought, just at:ifAbsent: on the dictionary.

rado
--
"Everyone wins, except art and people with brains or education" - Dr. Thorpe