[Seaside] Nested form tags

Bany, Michel mbany at cincom.com
Mon Jun 28 14:23:48 CEST 2004

I came accross some weird situation when using a component that is
a composition of other components. A subcomponent may in turn
be a composition of some more components. To make things even more
complex, some deeply nested subcomponents may call some other component.

Some of the subcomponents may contain some input html tag and as such
will require to be contained in a form html tag. In such a complex
construct it may be difficult to decide exactly what component should
have the responsibility to generate the form tag. Also, it happened
frequently to me that form tags become nested especially when a subcomponent
calls another component that happens to be a dialog.

Therefore I am making the following suggestion : Seaside should prevent
form tags from being nested. It should discard any form tag that occurs
within a previously opened form tag.

With this in place, I can design a component that needs a form with a form
construct knowing that if my component happens to be used inside a form,
then my
form construct will be discarded. Otherwise my form construct will be
preserved. If my component calls a dialog component, the form generated by
the dialog component will be discarded if my component happens to be used
from inside a form.

Michel.