[Seaside] Various components usage

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Wed Mar 3 18:21:51 CET 2004

Documentation?  Not at the moment unfortunately.  There was
documentation for Seaside1.x but the development of 2.x got ahead of its
documentation.  There is some work currently under way to correct this.
  Actually there is some documentation, but definitely not on all the
components.  In the meantime, your best bet is to ask questions here.

As for WATrail, the usage is to create a WATrail as follows:

initialize
     ... other initialization ...
     trail _ WATrail on: someComponent.

You would then make sure the render the trail appropriately:

renderContentOn: html
     ... other rendering ...
     html render: trail.
     ... other rendering ...

What WATrail will do, walk through the call chain for the given
component, displaying a link in the trail for each component in that
chain that implements #trailName.  You implement #trailName to return
the string that you want displayed in the trail.

So, at work, we have a bunch of frame components that always stay the
same (including the trail), and then we have a content frame that gets
changed.  So in the frame component I create a trail with "WATrail on:
content".  Then, as we call other components from the content component,
the links show up on the trail.

Note that you definitely need to be using call return here: the trail
definitely wouldn't make sense if you are swapping out your content
frame rather than calling.

Hope that makes sense.  If not, post again and I'll try to explain it
some other way :)

Julian