[Seaside] Backtracking/filestream questions

Colin Curtin alpine at umail.ucsb.edu
Mon Mar 15 08:17:51 CET 2004

> I'm having trouble following you.  What does "used up all the
> namelookups" mean?  What specifically do you mean by "allowed this app
> to use backtracking"?  And how are they related?

I apologize. There's a 'resolverMutex' in
NetNameResolver>>#nameForAddress:timeout: which locks up all available
semaphores for name resolution since (presumably) my Seaside session is not
letting go of them. I assume that this is because of my #initialize which
reads:

initialize
    self session registerObjectForBacktracking: self.

and thus Seaside will keep a session open until timeout. Which brings up another
question, if I could: Where might this timeout mechanism be? And how could I
mess with it? Is it part of WASession?

> Seems unlikely, but it's hard to know without more detail.

I'll try to get a test page up so that you may see what I'm talking about. :)

> I've played with using the SharedStreams
> package on SqueakMap to hack one together and it can be made to work,
> but I haven't had time to do it properly yet and submit the patches to
> Stephen, etc.  Even with that, however, there's some work at the
> Seaside layer to make this easy to use.

I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip!

Colin Curtin