[Seaside] VW cgi interface

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Sun Mar 21 02:42:10 CET 2004

On Mar 20, 2004, at 5:22 PM, Brett Taylor wrote:

> First of all - thanks for the port.  Seaside is great, and it sure is
> nice to be able to work in my favorite Smalltalk(VW).    No one on the
> Seaside list seems to care about VW though.

More that we don't know anything than that we don't care.  I've been
meaning to say that I'm very glad to see you forging ahead with the VW
port even though it's pretty much unsupported.  I would certainly love
to see the Seaside/VW community grow, and it'll take some of you brave
folk to push it forward.  So, many thanks.

I've actually seen some significant renewed interest in the port just
recently.  I'm hoping to be able to work with some VW users to make
sure that when 2.5a is released (Real Soon Now, and all), the VW port
can get updated very shortly thereafter.

> I've found some areas that weren't implemented such as being able to
> send  "Forms" (Gif Images) out using the HtmlRender.  I've made this
> work in my image.  Should I publish the changes to the public
> reposistory?

I'd like to see the changes so that I can think about how to abstract
them into the SeasidePlatformSupport layer.  It it possible to post a
chunk-format (VW3 or whatever) changeset?

> Also, I've seen walkbacks that might have to do with finalization.  I'm
> getting DNU's sent to the Smallinteger 0.  I've been ignoring it during
> development but I'm going to have to get that fixed before deployment.
> Have you noticed anything like this?

That's ringing some serious bells.  I think Roger Whitney solved that
one a while back?  Look back through the list archives...

Avi