[Seaside] Template system for Seaside + docs

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Fri Mar 26 01:41:54 CET 2004

On Mar 25, 2004, at 3:16 PM, Peter Schuller wrote:

> I am under the impression there are now one or more templating systems
> for Seaside.

I should say that from my point of view, the "best practice" use of
Seaside going forward is this:

- generate minimal semantic markup programatically for each component.
This is the responsibility of the developer.  WAHtmlRenderer does a
great job here, IMO, but alternate approaches would also be possible.
- use CSS stylesheets to change the look.  These are the responsibility
of the designer.  Currently, Seaside's built in support for this via
the #style method isn't great; a new "theming" engine based on the
Seaside 2.5 configuration framework is in the works.
- use localization to configure static text.  This is the
responsibility of the designer/writer/translator.  This can be done
using Babel currently, but in the future will be handled similarly to
themes.

To me, that ends up with a much better separation of concerns than
templating provides.

Incidentally this is what the "halo" stuff is targeted towards: the
idea is that the developer would keep a running instance of the app
somewhere, and the designers/writers/translators would be able to tweak
it in-browser while it was running using halos and associated theming
and localization interfaces.  There'd be an easy way for them to commit
their work into Monticello or StORE from there, and the developer could
merge in their changes as needed.

Avi