[Seaside] Latin-1 for SeaSide: howto?

Lukas Renggli renggli at student.unibe.ch
Tue Mar 30 18:14:57 CEST 2004

> I keep encoutering places where SeaSide incorrectly sends squeak
> encoded strings instead of iso-8859-1 and receives iso-8859-1 and
> places them into squeak encoded strings.

I don't think this conversation is needed at all. In all our
web-applications we are working with ISO-8859-1 string, we manipulate
them, store and read them from PostgreSQL and send them back to the
web-browser. This had never been a problem. At a few places, especially
where we have german-umlauts in Strings within Squeak, we convert
manually to an iso-encoding.

> I wonder whether the conversion should not be done on the data to be
> sent outside and received from outside rather than on individual
> spots. Should it be done in KomHttpServer instead?

This is probably not even reasonable at all, because the data received
as well as the data sent might have a different encoding than
ISO-8859-1 only known to client and server.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli