[Seaside] Dynamic bindings...howto?

C. David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Tue May 11 22:25:48 CEST 2004

I guess I mean "dynamically scoped variables." I'm trying to leverage
KomService's dynamic variable binding support but I'm having problems.
Before I waste an entire night on it I thought that I'd ask if anyone is
using it successfully.  I just want to make sure that I'm not going
nuts.  Anyway, here's what I'm doing...it seems simple enough:

In the Kom services service for StarBrowser I stopped the server, picked
"edit bindings" and then in the resulting inspector on an instance of
DynamicBindings I evaluated:

    self at: #TestMyBinding put: 1234.

started the server (it looks like the start method actually establishes
the current set of bindings for a server) and then in my
renderContentOn: for one of my components I added

    html text: #TestMyBinding binding printString.

loaded the component in a fresh web browser window but the binding shows
up as nil.  I verified that the HttpService which is running does indeed
have my bindings in it's bindings i-var.

Searching the web for docs hasn't turned up much.  I did play with
manually clamping the bindings and that seems to work but I would like
set of bindings for my running server (to use for configuration management).

David

--
C. David Shaffer
http://www.cs.westminster.edu/~shaffer