[Seaside] Transactions, database connections, indices, GOODS and Seaside

C. David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Fri May 14 06:02:38 CEST 2004

Avi Bryant wrote:

> On May 13, 2004, at 5:24 PM, C. David Shaffer wrote:
>
>> Thanks guys.  I'm using GOODS right now and each session registers
>> the active DB in a dynamic variable during request processing.
>

> I'm not sure what your usage patterns are for GOODS, but unless you're
> opening a new connection for every request (which would be pretty
> inefficient), I don't see why this wants to be a dynamic variable -
> any given session should always use the same connection.  You might be
> able to share one connection between several sessions, with
> appropriate mutexing, but I definitely wouldn't want to switch
> connections halfway through a session, because the object identities
> would be all wrong.  Or am I missing something?

I hadn't thought it through.  This pattern works for RDBMS's but there
"identity" has a different meaning.  Gemstone supports multiple
transactions on a single connection and would migrate objects from one
transaction cache to another as needed.  When I did use OmniBase in a
web app I used wrappers to migrate objects from one transaction to
another (I'd hold on to the object ID and load it whenever the
transaction changed).  This was less than ideal but it seemed the
natural progression of what I had been doing for years.  As you said, if
I limit the number of active transaction by serializing access to a
pool, I should be OK to map a session onto a single transaction.  Thanks.