[Seaside] xml & ie

radoslav hodnicak rh at 4096.sk
Sat May 22 19:09:00 CEST 2004

On Sat, 22 May 2004, Julian Fitzell wrote:
> 2) If we don't tell the browser to use UTF-8, extended characters don't
> work properly or consistently.  You can convert them to entities but
> that's a pain and it doesn't solve the problem of people putting
> accented characters into text fields.  Without the xml declaration
> there, I was was getting inconsistent data submitted from different
> browsers and when displayed back to the user the browser wouldn't render
> them properly.

I see. Well I set the encoding using meta http-equiv and I do seem to get
back input field texts in said encoding from all - ie, mozilla and opera
(on windoze). (I seem to use a version of seaside where non-ascii
characters aren't treated in any special way yet, which is fine for me)

> Presumably we could look at some headers to help solve the submission
> problem, but then we'd need to be able to do arbitrary character set
> conversion...  we could probably just make the xml declaration
> configurable so people can turn it off or change the character set...

Actually I won't mind if you don't do anything about this, I just wanted
to forward this info to all the people who test their pages with IE and
despair "why does the thing render this so strangely..." :-)

rado
--
pgp.mit.edu  0x30DEBAE6  12EE FED5 D5B1 77ED 5637 EB77 2A5F 22F9 30DE BAE6