[Seaside] Displaying non-ascii characters

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Thu Nov 11 19:25:00 CET 2004

On Nov 11, 2004, at 6:15 PM, Yar Hwee Boon wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 18:03:50 +0100, Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com> wrote:
>
>> Seaside declares an encoding of UTF-8 (see WAResponse>>initialize).
>> So if you have text in another encoding, you either need to convert
>> it to UTF-8, or change the content-type header.
>
> My understanding is that this declaration only affects how the browser
> displays the page? If so, I have already tried changing the encoding
> used for viewing the page in the browser settings.. I did try changing
> the content-type header, but it still looks like rubbish..

What if you use #html: instead of #text:?  Like,

html html: aString

This will get rid of any HTML entities - characters like < and & will
be displayed untouched - that might be getting in your way.

If that doesn't work, then I'm perplexed - it should be the same bytes
showing up in your browser that were in the file to begin with, so
*some* encoding should make sense of them.