[Seaside] Re: How to store and sort large list in GOODS

Yar Hwee Boon hboon at motionobj.com
Wed Nov 17 06:31:07 CET 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 23:43:34 -0500, Yanni Chiu <yanni at rogers.com> wrote:

> If you really must sort on several different columns then
> I'd suggest you provide a filter step where the user can
> narrow down the list with search criteria. Once the list
> size is within a threshold size, then enable the column
> sort links.

Thanks. I do have options for filtering. One thing with filtering is, you
still need to retrieve the whole list to filter :) Actually I don't see
the problem as much as having to sort by multiple different columns (I
could be wrong, of course), because sorting them is not that slow. But
rather having to retrieve the whole list in order to display, say, just
1st page of 10 items. ie. the DB latency.

> If you really need a large list sorted by multiple columns,
> and you don't want to sort it each time, then you need to
> keep a sorted collection for each column -- kind of like
> putting an index on a column in a relational DB.

I did consider this but it looks quite troublesome, because you have to
maintain multiple collections. Hopefully that's a last resort :) Thanks
again.

--
Regards
HweeBoon